Sunday, November 30, 2008

IMAZ 7

after crossing the finish line i got my medal, space blanket, hat and shirt...got my picture taken...saw my parents...my dad gave me a little box (my very own m-dot necklace!)...i found j and my in-laws and headed over to the food tent...charles was there too...he said "what do you need" at that point i really had no clue what i needed...he got me a water...then i was walking over to some tables...i couldn't tell if i wanted to sit or stand or what...some one brought me a coke on ice...that was the best thing ever...i wanted more...some one brought me more...

i was so happy to be surrounded by my family...it was such an amazing moment to be there having just crossed the finish line of an ironman...with them...then my personal cheering squad arrived...carrie, rhonda, alisa and catherine all with very kind words and big hugs and smiles...got updated on where the rest of my team-mates were out on the course...i heard it...but none of it really soaked in...everyone was out on the run and that is what i needed to know...

j had already gotten my bike and transition bags taken care of...carrie brought me my dry clothes...and put on my warm-ups and sat for a bit soaking in the moment...then i started to get really tired...and was ready to eat real food...so we gathered everything up...and shuffled me to the car...which thankfully wasn't too far...i said bye to my family...and j and i were off...

we got chinese food (i had planned on that so i didn't have to decide when the moment was here) and a huge diet coke for me (weird since i never drink it in my regular life)...ate and showered...great shower...glad there was a handle to get in and out of the bath

i was feeling bad that i didn't stick around to watch my team-mates cross the line...but i knew they were all going to be well taken care of by our T3 cheering team...they were on my mind for sure...i was totally cheering in my mind :D but couldn't really do much at that point...so i slept for a while...woke up at 1am ate more...slept more...

and that my friends is my race report...it was an amazing experience...that i will most likely do again...(no i didn't sign up for next year)...in a different location...i am very pleased with my outcome...but it was really never about the outcome...the process of getting to this point has been amazing...and if you don't enjoy the process...the two a day work outs...the commitment to a serious training schedule...the seeing your coaches more than your friends (non training friends that is)...then i wouldn't suggest that you train for an event like this...but if that gets you excited...go for it...it is well worth it...that feeling of running down the shoot with all those people cheering...and they were, at that point, all cheering for me...was unlike anything in the world

7 comments:

etg said...

Jess - from start to finish, you've been an inspiration to me. Thanks for sharing so much about your experience (from the early days of training to crossing the finish line). You've made me even more excited about training for CDA! Keep soaking up your post-Ironman downtime...although I suspect you won't be absent from your training "family" for long!

jmiahj said...

Way to go, friend! Great, great race! And great, great story! You're one iron tough, baddd arse chica! But I've known that for over a year now! Nice job.

Amy said...

Amazing. Fantastic race report, even more fantastic race. You really kept your head in the game, and combined with your diligent training, it really paid off. I'm in awe of your time!

Ed Easton said...

You got a mention from Wish on his blog!? Whoa! You truly are an ath-a-leet. :)

Unknown said...

You were so focused that I was almost embarrassed to be yelling like crazy. Your "I did it" brought tears to my eyes. Yep, you did it!
Congratulations again.
Cathy Bridge

Amit Bhutani said...

So I finally read yr race report...every word of it, even if it's almost a year late (better late than never they say) :P Wow, what an amazing journey you've had!! Reading this has defn pushed me even closer to wanting to 2010 IMAZ, so thank you for that!! :) You are a true inspiration to folks like me!

Amit Bhutani said...

So here I am sitting in Tempe, AZ in my hotel room 14mos after first having read yr race report, reading it again and feeling inspired to do what you accomplished 2 yrs ago here, 3 days from now :)