Tuesday, November 25, 2008

IMAZ 1

so i am going to post a few installments of race week/race report so i don't take up too much time procrastinating...since the last day of classes is next friday....oh well..so here is installment one...

thursday morning...j took me to the airport where i checked my bag...slipped through security and was at my gate in no time...a super easy flight...got the car and headed to tempe beach park for registration...i actually got there before registration opened...but just by a few minutes...there was a short line that moved quickly...after telling my number and flashing my usat card i was weighed and sent over to bill my friendly volunteer...he walked me through all the numbers...put on my wrist band...wrote my number on my pink swim cap...and wished me luck...

my plan was to grab my bike...but tri bike was not going to be opened until 1.30 so i went to the local whole foods...ate lunch...got my self acclimated...bought supplies for the week...and headed to the hotel...was able to check in early...organize my thoughts then head back to grab my bike...got it no problem...bag and all then headed north to see my dad...

arrived at his place...unpacked my bike...made sure it was all in working order...hung out and drank some wine and chatted a bit....then headed out to dinner at nick's Italian...the first of many pasta dinners of the week...this one was very yummy...gnocchi with spicy tomato sauce and grilled shrimp...yum...after dinner...i was beat so headed back to the hotel to crash and figure things out for the morning...

friday morning was the first of two practice swims...met up with jane, charles and michelle to get in the water...and have some fun...or something close to that...the water was cold at first and really quite choppy and not all that much fun to swim in....kind of like swimming through boat wake...making you bob up and down as the waves went by...i only spent about 10 minutes in the water...not all that comfortable...i was hoping that the water would improve before sunday...i had heard that the wind would die down and make it less choppy...that is what i had hoped...

got out of the water and saw RD extraordinaire ms. terranova and her hubby :D so nice to see familiar faces...we chatted for a bit while i waited for the rest of my team mates to emerge from the water...then it was off to a sunny and warm spot for coffee...and a nice and rather relaxing chat with jane, michelle and charles...that was a very calming moment for me...much needed...

No comments: