Monday, July 28, 2008

brick...hrm

sunday was a brick w/o with other folks who are also training for ironman...turned out to be 5 total...we met at kiker at 7am...to do 2.5 loops (20 miles) on mopac then head into the circle c neighborhood for a 10 mile run...i knew it was going to be a tough one...it was hot early and not a cloud in the sky...

got on the bike and off to a good start...was riding just behind Michelle kept trying to pass her on the first out on mopac but never got there...i wasn't pushing it on the bike but we were riding almost exactly the same speed...after the turn around (i love this part) i popped it in the big ring and sailed...just me and the rocket ship...finished the bike strong in just under 1h30m...but didn't finish the nutrition i brought...i knew that i would pay for it later...and i did...

made a pretty quick transition (as quick as i can when i have to pack the bike back in the car)...grabbed my hand held water bottle (emergency gu inside the pocket), my gel ready race belt (testing that out for the first time) with tw0 gels on it and my hat and off i went...up to escarpment to mopac...turned around back down escarpment to william cannon...turned right...went to beckett...all the way to slaughter...to escarpment and back down la crosse...ught!...it was hot and i felt like i was shuffling when i got back...but i guess i averaged about 9.30's since i was done in 1h35m...it felt really hard...felt like i didn't have enough fuel or hydration...i only took in half my calories/hydration on the bike and i think this is what caused me to really struggle at the end of the run...so i drank more of my water bottle than i normal do..took one gel at 35 minutes and one at ~1h10...but it is hard to catch up when you have not kept up...pesky of me i know better...it seems like now that i know how to ride my bike and how to run i need to focus on getting my nutrition in...really nailing it...to make this work...

took an ice bath, ate breakfast and then took a nap when i got home...got up from my nap ate some more...and then started to feel a bit more human...i learned a lot from my training this weekend...and i guess that is what it is all about...learn this stuff now so that it doesn't happen on race day...

No comments: