Tuesday, April 8, 2008

imperfect timing

today was full of less than perfect timing...nothing that got me down or made me sad...just a bunch of near misses...but all with good and sometimes excellent results

6.30 got to barton springs for my first official swim...during marathon season it was a lot of soaking...but i never went in above the waist...so now i am no longer a semi-open water virgin...the first length was less than perfect...it feels weird to see stuff in there...i know it's there...but yikes...swimming into the plants for the first time...in the semi darkness...takes one length to get familiar with it...and going from a 25 yard pool to an 1/8th mile spring fed length feels totally different...i had a blast...but i know it won't feel weird when i get in again...and no toes to draft behind on the way down or back (imperfect timing episode 1)...but amy waited for me at the other end...leaving her little chain of triathlete friends to give me a few pointers...what it means to draft...how to peek to see where you are going...and hopefully not crash...i had two near misses...eek...sorry i'm new!...(imperfect timing episode 2) so the next down and back on amy's toes was great...(sorry for all the touches...you can get me back next time) when i at least kind of know what i am doing...~30 minutes 1/2 mile? in the pre and early dawn...totally beautiful...it makes me smile...

dressed and out to breakfast at bouldin...why does swimming make me starving...with a side of chem studies...then off to get my wetsuit!!! (imperfect timing #3...would have been nice to have _before_ the swim)...fits great on dry land...like a super hero costume...taking it for a test swim on thursday to see how it feels in the water...i have a wetsuit!!! :) i'm so excited

home for a minute...got to the computer just as i heard the ding of j logging off from IM...argh! it is tough with a 7 hour time difference...catch up on a few house chores...i know i know they have been the first thing that i neglect...

off to class...starting thermodynamics...yeah...gonna need to study that stuff...nutrition was canceled today...good thing i had too much to do...home again...

onto the other bike for an hour ride...went up to the UT intermural (sp?) fields parking lot to practice my bike handling skills...coach you would be proud of me :) ...did a few mount/dismounts with the shoes on the pedals...tried to get my feet back into the shoes...this proved more difficult than i had thought...and makes me think i want new bike shoes...with less straps/tongue/issues...almost bailed a couple times...eeek...when the shoes went around minus the feet causing them to drag on the ground and me _almost_ lose it...*blush* then it was left hand off the bike time...i did a few passes of the parking lot steering one handed...then it was grabbing and replacing the bottle from the seat cages...then playing with the shoes...then some signaling...i made progress i was happy about that for sure...on the way home i was signaling with confidence!

home again for a second...my cats are missing their love i am sure...a few minutes of studies then back to campus for a review (timing issue #4 what does this make...bike ride 3 for the day!)...the TA said it took her an hour to complete the exam...and she is a grad student...not like i wasn't freaked out about this test enough...ahh!...it's going to take me forever!!...

busy day...like i was saying to my sister-in-law...(from now on referred to as JY)...i think it is because i keep having to think about where i need to be and what i am supposed to be doing...swimming biking running school...once i get to where i don't need to think about that part anymore i will feel less busy i think...i hope

1 comment:

Amy said...

I am proud of you. I am.

Remind me what size your shoes are?