Sunday, May 18, 2008

AT open water swim day!

it was my first 1.2 mile actual open water swim. i was excited. since i had done the mass start at rookie (that was probably the most tame swim start in the history of triathlon) and seen that the actual event is much less terrifying than my vivid imagination (seriously the things i can come up with in my head..wow) of the mass swim start...i was feeling ok about the event in general...i didn't have a time goal in mind...i went out thinking i am going to swim and i am going to finish strong and i am going to practice drafting and i am just going to finish and not be freaked out...

they got us all into the water (100?maybe) for a deep water start...i positioned my self so that i was not in the middle and was on the outside near the buoy line...the horn went off and we were swimming...i found some toes...and stuck to them...then they were slow toes so i found some new ones...and tried to stick to those...then they started weaving so i just swam then they weaved their way back to me...it kind of went this way the whole way down...until just before the turn buoy when a guy (a big guy) ran directly into me...he had made the turn and was coming back in and was pretty off course...he was very apologetic...but hey...what are you going to do...

made it to the turn and found some toes again...then the toes were all over the place and we were coming close to the little rocky point thing that we turned around to the finish...so i just sped up to avoid the kayak that she must have been sighting on...and hauled into the finish...swam up to the second guy plucking people out of the water...he said something about my ear rings...in some kind of an accent...but i was too busy practicing my toes up run out of the water and looking at the clock to look at him...the clock said 50m...hmm that is no good...i didn't feel like i was out there for 50m but then i say trish from swim clinic...she came out of the water right in front or behind me...not sure...her watch said 38m ha much better...guess they started the clock when the 800m folks took off...generally pleased with the experience...

i felt like i could have been swimming faster but i like having toes in front of me...i think i should have ditched them sooner when they were veering to the right...but hey...i came in 7th in my AG...guess this is my lucky number for tri related things...and that is good because it is a favorite number of mine...and i would have been much more happy if there wasn't a 4 inch rip in my wetsuit that happened right before the swim...i have no finger nails...i put it on like every one else...and i ripped below where i was wiggling it up...it doesn't seem right to me...

paul and i headed to austin java to meet up with jeremiah for breakfast!!! yeah!!! my accomplished half iron friend!!!...good to chat and eat a giant pancake...then jeremiah and i headed to the T3 open house...chatted with chrissie about my wetsuit issue...the rep is coming tuesday so i will try and get it swapped out...for one that does not have defective materials...we will see if i can or if the rep just says deal...hmm...i am hoping for the best but expecting the worst...on the way out we had a nice chat about training and racing and decisions...very nice...

home to hang out with j and to read...that book is really making me laugh...

No comments: