Monday, August 10, 2009

treat!



when j and i lived in savannah...there was a fancy grocery that had gone in not long before we moved...i loved it there...more central market than whole foods...but it was the first place i could actually find ingredients for some of the more complicated recipes that i was playing around with...good Italian cured meats (for j)...baby artichokes and almond flour for me...

the one thing that totally got me every time i walked in the door was the price of the roses...6.99 a dozen...sometimes 2/$10...i loved having really brightly colored roses on the table...and loved watching them open...some would open beautifully...others would stay tight and just wilt...but it was always fun and always made me smile...i don't miss much about savannah but i missed those cheap roses...

i had to go to HEB on saturday...not my favorite place to get groceries but proximity to other stores made me do it...and at noon on saturday...mom always taught me NOT to go then...but...it was what needed to be done...i was not having a particularly pleasant time at the store..and i LOVE the grocery store...so when i turned and walked to the checkout past a display of relatively inexpensive roses...well i had to get some...and i am glad that i did...they have made me smile a lot in the few days that i have had them and they have opened so beautifully...

so while the world around me in texas is HOT and DRY...my roses are reminding me there is a time when it will be cooler...and things will bloom again...

1 comment:

etg said...

yay for cheap roses! and flowers, in general! and a huge yippee for a time when it's not so hot here and things bloom again...I'm going to apply that thought to my running, too!