Saturday, January 29, 2011

Week 2

I can't believe how far i have come in a week working at the hospital...Today I was walking home from the hospital and I was smiling.  I was proud of what I had accomplished today and what I have been able to learn in such a short period of time.  I'm no longer nervous to find a nurse or talk to a doctor. I also seem to no longer hesitate when I walk into a patient room.  yesterday I gave a low fiber diet education to a Spanish only Pt with the help of a translator.  It was totally on the fly and great. I have also been working a lot with enteral nutrition and getting really comfortable with understanding who to put on what formulas and rates and goals. Good stuff.

I get attached to some patients and i really want them to pull through...or i want to see how their issues get resolved and sometimes i just want to know their stories.  I love running across the people who are really wanting to learn more about nutrition or the dr or nurse who is also really interested in how nutrition is going to help a patient get well.

I still feel like i have too much to do in a day/week/month and i am trying to learn how to say i don't have time.  i sometimes envy people i see out for walks or playing football in the street thinking to my self i wish i had time for stuff like that...and i guess i would if i didn't do all the other stuff i do outside of internship like having a job and doing some other nutrition stuff and saying yes to more than i should.

this coming week will be an exercise in doing that...in saying no when i can because honestly i just don't have the time...i like my sleep, and my yoga, and my run/ride/swimming and spending time with j and the catz....all of that is really just as important to me...this will be a process and i am sure i will have some failures along the way (this week counts as one for sure) but i will try...

now off to do some relaxing and shutting off of the brain for a few hours of girl movies, chocolate, ice cream and chit chat with a few of my lady friends...much needed...

No comments: