Tuesday, July 28, 2009

okra ...free association

so j has this funny thing about free association...i will say something or he might...then 10 minutes later he's singing a song...that after a stint of 45 minutes...the same three lines or line starts to get...well...then it goes something like this..

me: OMG!!! stop singing (insert really terrible song here...tonight the theme from Weeds...yeah that song)

j: ok..ok...wait...why am i singing that song

me: because like 45 minutes ago i asked you _____ (something maybe very vaguely connected...tonight it was "can you bring me a box from work")

so long story long...here is my free association for the evening

cutting okra in the kitchen...making okra, zucchini, tomato saute to go with dinner...

me: mmm i love okra

me: yeah me too...maybe we will get more in the farm box this week

me: oh that would be great...we could make gumbo

me: gumbo...we would need file powder...we are out of that

me: yeah and chicken sausage...

me: i wonder what real gumbo tastes like...

me: yeah hard to believe we have never been to NOLA...we should go sometime...

me: yeah and find someone who makes gumbo with out butter or pork products or red meat of any kind..

...insert me day dreaming about driving to NOLA...on a vacation...with time that is not there...yeah so maybe gumbo this weekend...is it going to be less than 100 degrees??

1 comment:

Jane said...

There is no butter in gumbo, but there is a lot of oil. I use canola and peanut. You can just make chicken gumbo, although the sausage does make it yummier. I think I can find some chicken andouille maybe.
I'll make you some this fall.