Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Here We Go...

It is the beginning of taper...the rest that comes before the big race...and the time to really start ramping up the mental aspect of the training and preparation...this is when (even more than before) i begin to visualize each portion of the race...trying to walk through all of the steps mentally...in as much detail as i can...down to the lap of the chilly water on my feet...the smell of 2000 athletes in neoprene...the sound of the water against my ears...and perhaps earplugs...the sand on my toes as i get out of the swim...and on through the race...i literally close my eyes and try to "see" where i will be and feel how i want to feel....

feel strong, steady and solid up that middle section of hills, fast and fresh as i cruise through town...smell the freshness of the not so humid air...and even a little bit of a chill on my nose as i climb the hills for a second time...attending to my own race...chomping my shot blocks, sipping the liquid nutrition...calling for water at the hand up...rolling strong back into town and through transition...watching for a second as i hand off my bike...shouting my race number...

transitioning to the run...the feel of my hand held bottle on my arm...the lift of my knees as i run, the steady breathing pattern, the breeze off the lake...head up and lifted tall...shoulders relaxed as i move into the second loop of the run...reaching the turn on the hill...the lift as i am on that last 10k...the turn on to Sherman avenue...and...those final moments...where time cannot slow down enough...where you want to stop running and listen to all of those cheers...where all of those people (physically there and at home glued to computers) are screaming for you.....and you alone...no matter if they think you are crazy...amazing...or just plain weird...

i try as much as i can to imagine all of that as i sit in line at the grocery store, or hang out at the end of the lane during one of my last swim practices, or stretch after run practice...and if it feels this good visualizing...it is going to be _amazing_ on race day...

2 comments:

etg said...

I feel SO lucky to be on the verge of experiencing this with you. What a wonderful journey it's been. But, really, did you have to make me cry before we even get to Idaho?! XOXO

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

You are going to be stellar!! And for Pete's Sake, let's celebrate when you all get back!!