Saturday, November 20, 2010

E.S.Y (east side yoga)

i have been pushing my body hard this year...i started last January training for IMCdA in June...took two weeks off and trained for MCM from July through Halloween...i know that lots of other folks out there are doing multiple IMs and marathons...but with my schedule of school and internship and well actually wanting to get some sleep i know i just can't push it much past an IM and one marathon...but really the first week of November i was tired...really bone dead tired...

each night i slept hard...i slept 8-9 hour...and would wake up feeling like i had about a 10 minute nap...Starbucks was my friend...i stopped several times at the one on campus just to get me through my classes...and i am so not usually needing more than my morning coffee...and did i mention food...i was ravenous...

it was pretty amazing how abrupt the change to recovery mode was...and man i could tell...so i decided to make a change...i scrapped the race that i was going to do in early January...and joined east side yoga...which is about 6 blocks from the house...it was time to try and open up some of these muscles that have been so tight...and time to just listen to the racing of my mind...and time to breathe...

i joined the second week in November...and went every day the first week...i had forgotten how much i love yoga...and how absolutely restorative it is to me...i'm in my second week and have totally felt the difference in my whole body....my mind is more calm, clear and focused...i am more relaxed...i have been able to say no to things because i know that it will make me feel frantic again...i have more flexibility and openness in my hips...and i feel like i have restored my normal organ function with some of the deep twists i have been doing...

in one class i did a hand stand...all be it assisted by my teacher...but wow...i can tell you it's going to be amazing when i can get that into my practice...i know that i am going to start training again but i really am going to be diligent about keeping yoga a part of the mix...it is as good for my mind as it is for my body

No comments: