Monday, January 7, 2008

30k Conquered

had an amazing race yesterday at the ARA 30k. i was a bit nervous going in because of all the hype that the race got. rogue runners were discouraged from running this race (i still saw some out there sporting there rogue gear) due to the major ups and downs along the course. i was a little worried that the race was going to wipe me out so i made my race plan nice and easy. start easy....very easy...just go out a little less strong than my normal long run pace. take the hills as they come, walk when i need to, drink plenty of water and a gel at 80 minutes then every 40 after that with one extra attached to me just in case i was going to be out there for a long time.

as a side note...while reading the runner's instructions for the race the organizers stated that they hoped everyone would be done by 1pm...6 hours after the race started!!!!

i was hoping for somewhere between 3 and 4 hours depending how i felt...i hydrated like crazy on saturday...slept well (only one dream that i was late for the race) and got up at 4.45 feeling pretty good...with a healthy dose of nervous excitement...which i promptly calmed with "calm like a bomb" (one of my new phrases) it reminds me to keep my energy inside, calm the outside and use that energy when it is needed later...had a cup of coffee, a soy protein shake (cookies and cream) took my vitamins, checked my bag again and was out the door by 5.45...at the site around 6, was able to park easily and get to the potty line before it was too long...found my race buddies and huddled up for the start.

i ended up running the race with paul...it was really nice to be able to run with someone the whole way...you can do the mental scan of your body, check how you are feeling, fix what you need to, then focus on something else...like the name of the movie or restaurant whatever...without getting too hung up on what is ahead...i was really able to focus and be extremely present moment through the race...when the big hills started we said to each other that we were just going to take it one cone at time...breaking down that hill in small stages really helped...

each 10k got a little faster...that was a thrill...to be able to complete the last 10k of a tough race (the huge hills were in this section) faster than the first 10k was a huge deal for me...even the elite runners at the race didn't accomplish this...that feels good...to cross the finish line feeling strong...not like i left it all out there...because i know that my longterm goal is the marathon on 2.17...

awesome to feel amazing...have an amazing coach out there rooting for us when she didn't have to be there...a training parter also out there cheering us on...a solidly executed race plan...and a finisher's metal (my first *blush*)...i couldn't have asked for a better race.

4 comments:

Mark said...

Awesome, Congratulations! Nothing like a powerful confidence booster 6 weeks out, eh?

Amy said...

Jess, your "calm like a bomb" mantra is awesome. Good job on the run, sounds like it went as good as can be and that you guys are well-prepared for the marathon!

Unknown said...

I love your "calm like a bomb" mantra! I can't believe you ran the 30k - I am so happy for you. What an accomplishment. You are my hero in both cooking and life in general. Good job!!

Jess said...

thanks guys!!